Thursday, April 17, 2014

Eli's Finger Episode (AKA one of the hardest days of my life)

I had just pulled into a restaurant parking lot in Paragould, AR, to get my thoughts and papers organized before shooting a wedding a couple weekends before Christmas. It was a snowy, cold day, and all my thoughts were focused on hoping it would warm up a bit so we could get some outdoor pictures.

That was until I got the phone call. Zach called me in a panic, because Eli's finger was slammed in the hinge side of a door, causing the finger tip to be severed.

The rest was a bit of a blur. I somehow pulled myself together to shoot the wedding, while staying on the phone with Zach and my family for updates on whether or not the finger tip could be saved, and then throughout the surgery and throughout all the painful details of the day. My assistant, Courtney could not have been more helpful. She saved me that day, and I was so grateful she was there.

The team at LeBonheur was AMAZING. We were so blessed to have such a great team of people working to make sure he had the best care possible.

Words cannot express how hard it was not being able to hold my baby boy that day, but there are also no words to describe how good it felt to be home with him that night. It was a long 2 weeks of recovery, antibiotics and pain medicine, but he has made a full recovery.











No comments: