Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fayette County's Farmers Market

Last week, I received the following announcement in an email.

Ribbon Cutting/Grand Opening
Fayette County Farmers Market

Wednesday, May 13, 2009
1:00 PM

Located in the Parking Lot at Dan Buckley Gym
Hwy 76, Somerville

Please join us as we celebrate the Grand Opening of the NEW Fayette County Farmers Market. Made possible by a USDA Grant, this will provide a permanent place for local producers to sell fresh fruits and vegetables in Fayette County, benefitting farmers, consumers and our community.

Hours of operation for the Farmers Market will be Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturday from 7:00 AM - 1:00 PM. For applications and policy/guidelines, farmers may go to the Extension office located at 302 Midland St. or call 465-5233.


I love all things fresh and locally grown, so I was instantly excited. I even twittered about it. I called my friend, Jennifer, who also lives in Oakland and made plans to get up early Saturday morning to drive into Somerville for the Fayette County's Farmers Market. She was as equally excited as I was. Before we left, Zach warned me not to get my hopes too high. He said "I know you're expecting lush flowers and tons of fresh food... but I would hate for you to wake up early and drive all that way, only to be disappointed."

I told him I would give whatever they were selling a chance... even if it was just one man selling fruits from his truck. Turns out- I lied. I did not give it a chance. I was too busy laughing hysterically at what we found when we arrived at the market. When I say I was laughing, I mean, I had to pull over the car because there were tears streaming down my face and I couldn't see straight. Of course, Jennifer had her camera and took these pictures for proof.

"The Fayette County's Farmer's Market...."




I'm hoping the market is still new and will continue to grow over the next few months. However, I think it is safe to say, I'll be waiting a while before going back and probably won't be waking up so early to get there.

8 comments:

Katie Cordell said...

Hilarious! I love it! Did you find any great buys on clothes?

Jennifer said...

Maybe we should have at least gotten out to see what kind of good deals they had on Wal-Mart brand balloon pants.

laurie said...

WHAT?! I'm completely confused. Where were the FARMERS? I don't understand. Seriously, the South drives me in sane sometimes.

I can totally picture you pulling the car over with tears pouring out of your eyes. You have the most awesome crying/not-breathing laugh. I wish I could have been there with you.

Sharaze Colley said...

Oh, haha!! Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago with the Arlington Farmer's Market. It might be bigger now but I never got over the disappointment so I just go to the one at the Agricenter since it takes me about as long to get there as to the arlington one. I should go out there again this summer and see if it has grown.

Anonymous said...

Haha! That's SO funny! The Farmer's Market that is next door to my church is not so excited they have like one guy with veggies, a lady with organic chicken and the rest is just random non-food stuff. But yours definitely wins for the worst EVER! :)

Heather said...

I can't stop laughing over here .................. !!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh no Elizabeth! I just laughed SO hard with you! I certainly hope you drove over and checked out the pretty clothes... I saw a lovely lavender polyester type suit. You would totally rock that : )

Live.Love.Eat said...

OMG, I knew something funny was coming because you actually posted the invite but man oh man I was not expecting just chain link fence with hangers. Holy cow. That's hysterical. How bout Fayette County's Chainlink Charity.