Friday, December 14, 2012

My Beautiful Grandmother

I have countless memories with my maternal grandmother (Nana) throughout my life. So many, in fact, that a blog post doesn't seem adequate enough to describe how cherished she is in my life. When we were young kids, I remember always wanting to play in Nana's jewelry. She had so much fun stuff. She always had gum in her purse that she was anxious to share, and to this day, when I smell spearmint gum, I think of her. She loved to play with us. She was never too old to want to get in the floor to play with us or our children. She loved to see us smile, and was genuinely SO proud of each of her grandchildren. As we got older, all 10 grandchildren would go stay with Nana and Grandad for a week, while we attended vacation bible school at their church. It was a mad house with all those kids running around, but you could always tell that Nana was soaking up every bit of it. 

She was the most dignified and respectable woman I ever knew. She was always so well mannered and soft spoken, but had the most hilarious sense of humor when you got her in a quieter setting. She loved to scrapbook for her grandchildren and loved helping us capture memories. She loved watching her family grow. 

When I was in college, she let me live with her a couple times, and was eager to do it. I remember how much I genuinely wanted to rush home from work so that I could catch Wheel of Fortune with them. They made their home so inviting. I was never eager to leave. 

This past August, my grandmother went in for a surgery that was supposed to take a couple days of healing. Unexpectedly, things got worse, and she didn't make it through the recovery process. Today, she is spending her days at the feet of Jesus, embracing her eternal family. While we know she is so happy right now, we definitely miss her around here. Nana, you will always be treasured to us. 
















No comments: