Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I LOVE to sing, but I am absolutely HORRIBLE at it. Insanely horrible. So bad, in fact, that when it comes to worshiping and lifting our voices to God, I often wonder if God means "everyone but you, Elizabeth." I'm kidding, of course, but I am THAT bad. My inability to sing or do anything that requires vocals or tone has always been a subject for entertainment for my family. I remember my brother Fred, standing in the kitchen with me once, saying "Ok- Elizabeth- you can do it... just sing after me." We stood there for about half an hour, as he tried to get me to follow the notes, but for some reason, I was physically unable to do it.

I've always said that coming from a large family keeps me grounded. My brother, Dan, recently filled out one of those "25 things about me" on Facebook. This was his number 11.

11. On American Idol last week, there was a really really awkward moment with this girl who was voted funniest person in her high school, and Kara, the new judge, thought she was trying to make a joke out of the audition. When I think of it now, it still almost makes me sick to my stomach on her behalf. I think mostly because she kind of reminded me of my sister, Elizabeth.

I haven't been following Idol much, yet, so I had no clue what he was talking about. I look it up and found this.



Lovely...

This also makes me think of another time. My family and I all went to see a movie years ago. When one of the scenes started, I quickly noticed EVERY member of my family snickering, trying to hold their laughter in. The more the scene went on- the harder they laughed, glancing over at me with an "I'm sorry, but can you honestly say this doesn't sound like you?" kind of glance. I'm sure you all remember the scene.

8 comments:

Laura Jo said...

I feel your pain, I am THAT bad too! Tone deaf would best describe my problem!

Dan and Tami said...

Hey, so we can't access YouTube in our part of the world, but I assume that that last clip was from My Best Friend's Wedding when Cameron Diaz's character was singing karaoke. Is that right? So, I watched the clip again and it makes me feel just as bad for her this time.

Tori and Lee said...

Aww Liz.. the funny thing is though.. when I saw that audition on American Idol it so reminded me of you too! Haha... I really am dying laughing! I love you though! And God loves hearing you sing =)

Jaren said...

Too funny Liz! Love it...don't give up the singing ;)

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh wow, too funnnnnnnnny!!!!!!!!!!!! It's amazing you love it so much if you stink at it. Hah. I saw that American Idol audition last week and thought it was sad that the judge thought she was being silly. Keep on rockin' Elizabeth!!!!!!!!!!! You seemed to have already made so many memories!!!!!!

Fred and Renee said...

That's all right baby - I think you sing just fine. :-) Well, you know how it is with us mothers. We think our kids do everything well. If I love to hear you sing - I know that God enjoys it too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, honey! You and I can be terrible together! By the way, I LOVE that movie! You might suck at singing, but just like Cameron Diaz in that movie, everyone adores you that much more for it!

angier said...

Great Looks...Talent....Beautiful Spirit...What, did you think you could have EVERYTHING! :) And by the way, when I saw that girl on Idol, I thought of you too. I didn't know you couldn't sing but just something about her. I don't know. :)