Friday, April 10, 2009

Record-Breaking Snowfall & Jess's Bachelorette Party: Better Late Than Never

It's been exactly one month and 13 days since Jessica's bachelorette party, but I've put off blogging about it, because it is a post that DEFINITELY needs pictures, and I didn't have my camera with me. BUT, Martha Jo just released her pictures today, so I'm stealing them.

Jessica lives in Knoxville, but REALLY wanted to have her bachelorette party in Memphis, where she grew up. Months in advance, I kicked it into gear and tried to get the details ready for February 28th. Our plans were to meet at Crystal's house for a lingerie shower and games, then head downtown to Rio Loco, a great Mexican restaurant in Downtown Memphis for dinner and margaritas, and then we were going to do a little dancing downtown. Almost a dozen girls were expected in from out of town for Jess's party.

About 5 days prior to the party, the forecast said snow was a possibility for that night. If you're from Memphis, you know that whenever snow is a possibility, it almost NEVER happens. Not to mention, even if it did happen, there was nothing we could do about it. Jess was getting her party! Our plan was to meet at Crystal's at 6:00. At about 5:00, the snow started coming down pretty hard. The snow moved through Memphis that night, dumping about 4 inches on the ground. BUT, in a weird, freakish way, the snow system made a big circle, and came through Memphis AGAIN... dumping another 4-8 inches on the ground.

We perservered and made sure Jess had an amazing night, but there were NO shortage of stories from that night (girls sliding all over the street in their heels, cars spinning out, the people we ran into downtown, etc.). Downtown Memphis felt like a weird snow day in college. There were very few people around, everyone looked rough after getting caught in the snow, but no one seemed to care. Note to self, if the forecast even remotely calls for snow or ice, do NOT wear peep toe heels.

That night, at about 1:30 in morning, I decided to make the trek from Downtown Memphis back to my house in Oakland. I had photo shoots scheduled for that next day and all my contact information and camera equipment were at the house. I finally got home at 4:30 AM, 3 hours later, after driving 10 miles an hour the entire way, spinning out at least a dozen times, and at one point getting stuck on the road and having to flag down a nice man in Oakland to help pull my car out of the ditch. On the way home, I saw at LEAST 30 cars abandoned in the snow and ice.

Of course, I didn't have much time to sit back and enjoy the snow or take any pictures, but according to the news, Oakland received about 11 inches of snow, the most in 40 years!

Overall, I don't think anyone will forget Jessica's bachelorette party. I'm SO glad Martha Jo finally released these pictures.



















2 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

OMG girl, it sounds like a great time but I am happy you made it home alive and well. I can't believe you drove in that and spun out and got stuck in a ditch. A party you'll never forget huh?!

Unknown said...

I can not believe you were wearing peep toes in that snow. OH MY GOSH! It looks like a fun party : ).