Monday, April 6, 2009

What in the Shrek is Going On??

We've been planning for Sydney's first visit for a LONG time. Most of you who know us, know that Sydney's regular visits to Memphis will begin in a couple of weeks. From this point on, she'll be spending weekends with us every few weeks, and will be with us on or around certain holidays and will have a week of vacation with us every year. This is something we've been praying for forever now.

Ever since all these developments came about, I jumped into action, trying to turn our guest bedroom into Sydney's PERFECT room. My top priority right now is making sure Sydney feels at home in our house and has a place she can call her own.

BUT- I'm REALLY starting to second guess my paint choices about now.

This was the guest bedroom about two weeks ago.


We asked Syd to pick our her bedspread and told her we'd surprise her with the rest. This is the bedspread she selected. When I started shopping for her room and all the accessories, EVERYTHING was pink, so I did NOT want to paint a pink room. But, I also didn't want to paint it white, so I decided to paint the room a NEW shade a green. I matched it to the green in the bedspread, thinking it would look fantastic.



This was the picture I took last night, with only one coat of paint on the walls. It looks like Nickelodeon slime green or, in my words, like Shrek exploded onto the walls. Zach keeps telling me it will look great once we're finished painting and everything is in the room and in place.

So... stay tuned.

12 comments:

Sharaze Colley said...

Oh, if my monitor is giving me the right colors, I think it's going to look so pretty, bright and cheerful! And you can totally tone it down with art, curtains, and pillows if you need to, right? When we first put our living room paint on the walls, we thought, "oh, crap, it's too bright" but went with it. I think that after the second coat and getting everything in there it turned out all right, though.

Of course, I'm a freak--my nursery has brown walls which most people thought was crazy (until they saw it--then they either liked it or just decided to humor me, lol).

Unknown said...

TOTALLY agree with Zach! I think it will look great with the second coat!! I LOVE bright colors!!! But if you end up hating it, the bright blue is really pretty too! We painted the kids bathroom upstairs a similar bright blue and I love it!!! She is going to LOVE it! I am so excited for yall!!!!!

Jennifer said...

I think it's going to look FABULOUS! Especially once the bedspread, curtains, and all the decorations are put together. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Renee and Brandon said...

OHH girl! My mom has the EXACT bedspread in one of the "grandkids room" and painted the walls the EXACT color....it looks great! You will not be disappointed. My mom did those fun sticker circles and squares you get from lowes and had all her grandkids names written in them. IT'S WAYY CUTE. You could even do her name in wood letters above her bed in bright colors. It will def take away from the green if you feel it's too bright. GOOD LUCK and cant wait to see the finish product.

Katie Cordell said...

okay, I'm going to be honest and tell you that it is REALLY bright. The thing about paint is that once you get it on the walls (are not just looking at a small paint swatch)it will always be brighter/darker. I always tell people to find the color they like and go a shade lighter the lighter shade will turn out to look like the brighter/darker shade once it's on the walls. I also always suggest to paint a big square on the wall, let it dry and then come back and look at it to make sure it's what you want.
BUT, in your case you can take the paint can back to wherever you got it from and tell them you'd like it a little lighter and they can lighten it up by adding some white.
But, if you're feeling pressed for time, it is true that once you get stuff on the walls it will distract the wall color.
I do think that green is a great choice based on the spread, but I would tone it down if I had the time.
Syd will love it!

Fred and Renee said...

I think you will like it once you get everything in place - but if you don't - it is paint. You can always repaint when you have time.

Zach Cordell said...

i couldn't look directly at it but i hear its pretty bright. go with your gut girl, your gut.

Dan and Tami said...

I agree with Zach! It will look WONDERFUL. Actually, our friends, the Langstons, has their girls' room painted that same color and then had bright comforters etc. and it all looked really cute together. So, I have no doubts it will be fun! Can't wait to see the final product!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it! Zach's right, it will look adorable once everything is in it. I'm so excited!
By the way, I really like the Shrek comment! Too funny!

Anonymous said...

WOW - the color is awesome! I just spent the past two nights interviewing (and blogging the results) of my 9 year old. She picked lime green, sky blue, and purple for new room colors of her choice. Good job!

Live.Love.Eat said...

1st let me say congrats on getting to have regular visits with Sydney. That is awesome, I know how much you love that little girl. 2nd while the green is bright I can't wait to see the finished product with everything back in its place. It's a little girls room so bright is always nice. And if you don't like it when everything is put back you can re-do it. Can't wait to see it.

Unknown said...

I love it! I want to paint our kitchen that color. I am so happy for you about your visits with Sydney : ). So, so happy!