Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad!

"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection."
-Sigmund Freud
This is a picture of me and my dad.. taken when I was about 15 years old. I am one of the fortunate women in this world who was blessed to have an amazing father. Today is my dad's birthday, so in honor of him, I thought I'd post 20 things that I will always remember about his leadership in our family.
01. The way he ALWAYS listened to our problems- no matter how big or small
02. He ALWAYS told us he loved us
03. How proud he was of all of us, even if we didn't deserve it
04. He taught me how to pray
05. He showed me what real faith in God looked like
06. He was never too old to play with us
07. Teaching me how to ride a bike
08. Teaching me how to drive a car
09. He was always protective and cautious during my teenage years
10. He never took life too seriously
11. He worked hard for our family, but ALWAYS made it a priority to be at our events.
12. He stayed involved in our lives
13. He always seemed excited to see us.
14. For reading the Christmas Story from Luke every Christmas
15. He really seemed happiest when he was with his family.
16. He didn't make excuses for our mistakes
17. He held us accountable for our actions
18. He showed us how to forgive
19. He set high standards for us
20. He loved us unconditionally
Happy Birthday, Dad! I love you so much! Thank you for helping shape me into the woman I am today. I continue to carry your words of wisdom with me.

7 comments:

Dan and Tami said...

21. He taught us to be gracious and responsible. I remember one year at camp in elementary school, this kid didn't have any money to buy ice cream, so the leader told him he'd buy him something, so the kid picked out the triple scoop waffle cone (or something like that) and Dad leaned over to me and said, "If anyone ever offers you something like that, you don't ever pick the most expensive thing." I remember that to this day and because of that instance, I've learned to be responsible with other people's money. There were thousands of little things like that that over the years have shaped me as well. He truly is a great father! Thanks for reminding us, Liz.

22. Oh yeah, he taught us to love the Memphis Tigers. He didn't need a lot of help with that. They're so lovable. GO TIGERS GO!

Fred Shackelford said...

When all you kids were little, one of our favorite shows was The Cosby Show. I'll always remember one episode when the oldest daughter was gushing to her dad about what a great dad he was. He replied with a statement that I felt was profound then and I still do. He said "Great kids make being a great parent easy." Thank you all for being such great kids. I love you all. - Dad

Heather said...

Now that I'm teary eyed from reading that post and these comments ....

Happy Birthday!!!

Sara said...

I am also teary eyed! So sweet!

Fred and Renee said...

I consider myself to be one of the luckiest women in the world. Not only is he a great dad to my kids, but he is a great husband. I love you honey!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth:

Your dad is one of the greatest men I have ever met. As someone whose parents were divorced at a very early age, Papa Shack always made me feel like I was one of his kids! He is a great man, and I really enjoyed your blog on this.

Billy

Corey and Melody Cain said...

I love your precious family...as a parent I now realize how difficult it is to live out all that you believe in front of your children day in and day out. It is encouraging to see such a wonderful example of a Godly family and it challenges me to use every opportunity to teach my boys.