Saturday, March 1, 2008

My confession... and plea for help

This is my confession, but for my close friends and family, this confession won't be that big of a shock. Here it is... I have a passionate dislike for housework. I wish I could be more like my sister-in-law, Jennifer, who LOVES to clean... but I'm not.

I was always that 16-year-old with the bedroom floor you couldn't see. My mom would always say to me "I can see it now, my grandchildren are going to live in a pig-sty."

It always made me feel better if I referred to my messiness as "free-spiritness."

But now that I'm married and have a home with my name attached to it, I'm trying to act more adult-like, and am trying to keep things clean. Seriously, I am... well, at least when we have guests over. Plus, I can't let my mom be right! ;) But there are two areas in my "journey towards neatness" that are currently defeating me.

First and foremost, the laundry. I have a bad habit with letting the laundry pile about 4 feet over the hamper, and then spill into the floor, covering our closet floor before washing it. BUT, when I do wash it all, I can't seem to get it to fit in the drawers. Zach and I share one dresser, a closet, and a couple of storage bins. We don't have a chest of drawers and we don't have much storage space in our room. So, my solution is that we should always have some dirty clothes in the hamper so our drawers aren't spilling over with clothes. The only other option I can come up with is getting rid of some of our clothes. BUT in all seriousness, we really don't own that many clothes. Any suggestions??

Ok, problem two. This is the way my shoes are stored right now.

I may not be the neatest person in the world, but this even gets on my nerves. But, there is no room in our closet for me to organize them (because of our storage bins) and again.. we don't have much storage space. Seriously, I'm in need of some advice!!

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Since you asked...It would help to get rid of some things. If your drawers are tight then you have too much stuff. If you can't get rid of stuff store some of it under your bed according to season. Also, make it a habit to do one load of laundry a day. Don't go to bed without completing this task. Except on Mondays you will probably have to do two loads, since Mondays are sheet changing days. I would recommend washing blankets, mattress pads, etc. only once a month when you flip and vaccuum your mattress! :) Oh what do I love more cleaning or organizing?!? You know I don't enjoy dusting though.
I'll think on the shoe situation, but my first thought is...holy cow get rid of some of those shoes!!!

Elizabeth said...

Holy cow! Flipping and vacuuming the mattress?? Maybe I'm not as good at this thing as I thought. Lol. You crack me up! And what's even funnier is I bet writing that was one the highlights of your day! Ha ha!! I miss you and can't wait to see you. Oh, and thanks for the advice!!

Nicki and Don said...

Ok - so I have the same cleaning problems as you! haha! I don't how your house is set up, but one thing that has helped us on the closet issue anyway is that Don uses the guest room closet and the master closet is ALL mine! Plus he doesn't have to look at my mess that way! Actually my closet has been clean for about a month now!!

Jennifer said...

I thought of a solution for your shoes, but it may be a little of an investment--stackable, storage containers. They make them that are about the size of a shoe box. Put a pair of shoes in each box after you take a picture of the shoes. Once the shoes are in the box attach the corresponding picture with the box. Does this make sense? Keep just two or three everyday pairs on the floor for easy access.
hehehe and yes the above comment was very exciting for me. You know I love a cleaning question! By the way I have relaxed A LOT and my shoes are a constant mess in my closet!! ;)

Elizabeth said...

I love the storage box idea! This will be a spring project for me. Closet organizing! I'm on my last load of laundry now. Almost caught up (and don't worry, I'll be sure to do another load tomorrow, and maybe even wash our sheets)!! Thanks!!

Heather said...

Elizabeth ... I laughed so hard reading this post that I now have tears in my eyes. I am picturing your dorm room in Jones ;) HAAAHAHAHA.

HLB

Anonymous said...

hey elizabeth - I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm Jennifer's friend- I know she truly enjoyed giving cleaning advice! I love to organize (not so much on laundry, flipping mattresses, etc). I recommend getting some variety of shoe organizers from Target... see if this link will work or go to target.com & search for "shoe organizer"
Becca Simpson
ps - didn't know your husband was a Bama fan?? Roll Tide!!

http://www.target.com/8-Shelf-Shoe-Side-Pockets-Wheat/dp/B000P6R458/sr=1-16/qid=1204572545/ref=sr_1_16/601-5192374-3688920?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=13035431&rh=k%3Ashoe%20organizer&page=1

Anonymous said...

oh - I forgot to say - after you get your shoes off that shelf, maybe you could store some clothes up there that aren't fitting in your dresser (t-shirts, etc)!
have fun!
Becca

sara e said...

I have one of those shoe organizers that hang on the back of the closet door (or whatever door you want to hang it from!), and I also, as Jennifer suggested, switch out my clothes according to the season. all my tank tops and summery skirts are in storage til easter! If there's still not enough room and you don't want to buy a bigger dresser, I'd get some of those big rectangle wicker baskets from tj maxx. I have one with a lid that I keep all my sweaters in, and then I have a slightly smaller one on top of that one for all my socks!

sara e said...

and ps, why don't you have a chest of drawers?? i found mine at an antique store for $40 (granted, it did have spiders living in it at the time of purchase...), and i bet you could find some for FREE at craigslist.org