Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Love Dare

Zach and I went with a group of friends to see "Fireproof" on Saturday. My thoughts on the movie:

It was a little cheezy and the acting was pretty bad. I also thought it was a tad one-sided, indicating that it is mostly the husband's responsibility to change the tone of a marriage. However, that may have just been because of this specific plot.

BUT- once you get past that, the wisdom that is offered to married couples is much-needed in today's society. It serves as a reminder that marriages are often idealized into someting that was never intended by God. It's a reminder that marriages can't be successful without patience and selflessness... two things I need to work on badly.

All that to say, Zach and I have decided to embark on this 40-day journey... The Love Dare.

Here's is what is on the back of the book...

"Unconditional love is eagerly promised at weddings, but rarely practiced in real life. As a result, romantic hopes are often replaced with disappointment in the home. But it doesn't have to stay that way.

The Love Dare is a 40-day challenge for husbands and wives to understand and practice unconditional love. Whether your marriage is hanging on by a thread or healthy and strong, The Love Dare is a journey you need to take. It's time to learn the keys to finding true intimacy and developing a dynamic marriage. Take the dare!"

Well, Zach and I are FAR from "hanging on by a thread," but we are also far from perfect. So, today- we're on Day 1. Our challenge today is avoiding saying anything negative to your spouse. So far, so good. :)
I'm eager to see what the next 39 days bring!

6 comments:

angier said...

Bry and I are in the middle of the Love Dare. It is such an awesome book! I am learning so much about myself and our relationship. It has really opened my eyes to a lot of things that I need to work on! Good luck on your "dares"!

Nicki and Don said...

Don's company publishes the Love Dare, so I fully support EVERYONE and ANYONE to go out and buy it. In fact buy them as Christmas gifts! ha ha.

Fred and Renee said...

I would love to have a copy of that too. Just because you have been married 35 years doesn't mean that you don't still need to work at it. Sounds good.

Unknown said...

I want to get it : ). Right away. We aren't hanging on by a thread...but our tree is!

This movie never played any where near us but I did want to see it. Although, cheesy scripts do drive me crazy!

Leah said...

Liz,
What is up??? Your life looks great and your pictures are amazing!!! Do you travel?? Garrett and I are in Nashville now and I have been following your blog for several months!! I am so glad to see how Our Lord has blessed you!! You have such a talent with photography also! Well I started a really simple blog today!! I am putting you on my following list hope that is good! Merry Christmas!! I am looking forward to the coming happenings!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Loved the movie too and we tried this. We did great on the 1st day. On the 1st day..... :)