Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Blessings

This week started off a little rough for me emotionally. I received a stressful and disheartening email this weekend, and had a hard time shaking it off. Then, first thing Monday morning, I had a frustrating encounter at work. Overall, my spirits were down. Luckily, I came across my friend, Laurie's blog, who reminded me to keep my focus on God and the blessings he provides daily.

Here are a few small things I have to smile about today.

1. I have a husband that loves to hold me no matter what kind of day either of us has had. I always look forward to the last 10 minutes before I fall asleep, because I know I'll be in Zach's arms.
2. I purchased our first batch of cherries of the summer. So yum!!
3. I have the pleasure of being able to participate in a book study that allows a group of strangers to come together to figure out how politics and Christianity relate to one another, while studying the book "Jesus for President."


4. I found a place in Olive Branch, MS yesterday that sells 10 cent onion rings! A whole order of onion rings for only 10 cents!! For those of you who don't realize how frugal I really am- that is very exciting.

5. On a similar note- I bought a REALLY awesome thrift store t-shirt yesterday for only $1.25. Another exciting find.

6. I had my first Amos Lee encounter yesterday, on the recommendation of my new friends, Matthew and Lisa. The cd was so good, I almost cried.

7. My golden retriever, Bryant, crawled into my lap last night and put his head across my chest. I think he knew I needed a little love (in case you guys can't tell- I'm quite the cuddler).

8. I received an encouraging email from a new friend last night. It's nice to know that prayer doesn't have any location restraints.

9. I get to hang out with two very handsome nephews this weekend.

I'm sure there is much more, but I just felt like I needed to take a few minutes to reflect on the little blessings God provides each day. It's encouraging to know that he sends encouragement our way, no matter how heavy the world can feel. I just need to remind myself to stop and take the time to be blessed.

7 comments:

Laura said...

I can definitely relate to having a rough week! I'm glad you're still finding things to be thankful for in the middle of it. Most of the time, there's no easy solutions or quick fixes to some things we encounter, but walking through them with people who love us can make them bearable. It sounds like that's what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! We obviously haven't talked enough lately. I don't know what's going on, but let me just say that you are such an inspiration! Sometimes it's hard for us to stop and really take time to look at ALL we have been given when we get so wrapped up in things of this world. Just know you're not alone. Lee has been struggling a little this week, too. PLEASE call me when you need to talk. You know I am always here for you.

Anonymous said...

By the way, the love of God, a good man, and a sweet dog always make things better, don't they?!

amanda said...

I am sorry you had such a bad week. I am praying for you and if you need anything let me know. We love you !!

Jennifer said...

hey - don"t forget that you mom is coming back in town this weekend - the greatest blessing of all! J/K Love you and look forward to hanging out with you this weekend.

Jennifer said...

OK so that last comment waws really from your mom - I didn
t realize that I was signed in as Jennifer.:-)

Joanna said...

oh liz, i just love you! thanks for sharing all of that...so encouraging. :)