Thursday, September 18, 2008

Gardening Roller Coaster

I have a love-hate relationship with my garden. Most days, when I drive by and see how the weeds that I just pulled have somehow managed to grow tall again, I hate it. But other days, when I see the growth that has occured without me even noticing it, I love it.

Today, I got SOOOOO excited when I came home and found this growing in my garden!


I was told if you thump it and it sounds hollow, then it is ready to be picked. So, I thumped, it sounded it hollow, and we picked. I was like a little kid dancing around on Christmas Day... until I cut into it. I've got several more watermelons on the vine.. can anyone tell me how you tell when it is ready to eat? Excuse the poor quality of these pictures- they were taken with my cell phone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool! I can't believe it got so big! Too bad it wasn't ready yet. I'm not sure of any other way except the "thumping" method. Let me know if you figure it out.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Ha ha. That's a cute picture noting your disappointment. But that is so cool you have a watermelon like that from your very own garden. I just don't have a clue with that stuff.

Fred Shackelford said...

I guess call your dad to show you how to properly THUMP