Friday, September 26, 2008

Magic...

I rarely ever blog about my full time job. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I spend an average of 55 hours a week working, so when I have the time to talk about anything else, I try to take it. But today, I discovered something that saved me (and our business) nearly a thousand dollars and I had to share.

I work as a project manager for a construction firm. I spend most of my day putting together estimates, managing jobs, and trying to sort through problems on job sites. A couple of weeks ago, we were released on an extensive paint job in an East Memphis office. Unfortunately, one of our painters left a paint can on the plastic laminate countertop overnight. When the tenant discovered it, she picked it up, and realized it had left a huge ring on top of the counter.

Our painter went back to the job, and tried to get it off. He tried soap and water, alcohol, paint thinner... it wouldn't come off! At that point, I had no choice but to insist we replace the countertop. I called our millwork subcontractor to see if he could give me a quote.

He said, "Sure! I'd be happy to, but first- do you know if your painter tried a magic eraser?"


Me: "A Magic What?"


Him: "A Magic Eraser... you know, the things you buy in the cleaning section of your grocery store."


Me: "He tried quite a bit of stuff... and it's been there for more than a week. I can't imagine anything from the grocery store would work at this point."


Him: "If I were you, I would at least spend the 3 dollars. It can't hurt. If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to replace the countertop."


I guess you can see where this is going. IT WORKED!
As I've mentioned PLENTY of times before, I will not EVER claim to be a cleaning consultant... but I promise you, I've never seen anything like this!!!
I've been talking about the magic eraser all day. On average, 4 out of every 5 people I've told about it today already know about it. Apparently, there are all these people out there with stain-free countertops keeping the secret to themselves! But if you are like me, and have been living in a cave for the past year and a half, do yourself a favor and spend the $2.74." It's worth it!
P.S. Jennifer... these are the things you are supposed to be telling me about (I'll be taking this up with you later)! :)

8 comments:

Dan and Tami said...

Photography tip: If you ever start using backdrops, we used to clean the scuff marks off our white backdrops with Magic Eraser when I worked at Picture People.

Dan and Tami said...

That was Tami; this is Dan. Like you, Elizabeth, I'd never heard of the stuff. I don't think they carry it over here, though, so we'll have to keep our stains.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about the magic eraser till I read your blog, so that makes two of us living in a cave! I'll be sure to get one today when I go to the store. Any suggestions on getting stains out of clothing? (kids)

Corey and Melody Cain said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad it worked! It also works great to clean white grout on tile floors, scuffs off of shoes and purses (test a small place before using it all over)!!! It doesn't work well on painted walls ;) They do warn against letting children use it. It can burn their skin pretty badly.

Jaren said...

OMG! I'm going to pick up 5 of them up right now!!! Thanks for the tip!!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I did NOT know about this. Very cool!!!!!! What movie did you end up seeing?

And I don't ever talk about my full time job either. It's enough it takes me away 40 hrs per week.

angier said...

When we moved into our last house I thought for months that our countertops had a "speckled" pattern. Then I got a Magic Eraser and learned that the speckled pattern was actually 20 something years of smoke build up!!! I keep at least 2 or 3 in the house at all times! Love em!

Unknown said...

Hi, I just found you on live.love.eat. I LOVE magic erasers! I can't believe you were able to get that paint off though. That is impressive : )! I love your pictures. Very beatiful!