Monday, May 12, 2008

Family

This weekend, Zach and I were driving home from a day in Paris, TN when I looked at Zach and said "I have an amazing family, don't I?" Today, I continue to be overwhelmed with love and respect for the people God so graciously gave me as family. Bear with me as I take a little while to brag on some people who are having some special moments this week. First and foremost, my mother. Saturday was my mom's birthday and yesterday was Mother's Day. I was having some trouble with my computer so I couldn't post this until today. But I have been SOOO blessed to have a mom with such an amazing heart. Mom, you are truly an amazing woman. You are quite possibly one of the most selfless people I know. You are always looking for ways to do things for the people you love most. You put family before anything else and I love that about you. You have shown me what is really important in life. I just hope I can have half the love for my children that you have shown for us.

Secondly, my sister-in-law, Tami. Today is Tami's birthday and unfortunately I can't be near her to share it with her. But I'm sure my brother is holding down the fort when it comes to making her birthday special. Every time I think about Dan and Tami, I have to be careful not to let my heart swell too big with pride. Watching them serve God so faithfully makes me so proud to be a part of their family. Tami, I hope your day is as special as it can possibly be. Just know we are with you in spirit. I love you!! Thank you for being such an amazing wife to my brother and an amazing mom to my nephew!
Next, my brother Fred. Fred is graduating this week and will officially become a DOCTOR!! My big brother is going to be a doctor!! Fred has been working so hard the past couple of years raising a family, leading a church, and going to school. The amazing thing about Fred is that sometimes I actually forgot he was going to school, because his duties as a pastor and father never seemed to waiver. I know we told you this this week, Fred, but we are so proud of you!!

And last (but CERTAINLY not least), my husband Zach. I've fallen more and more in love with my husband each day since our wedding, but recently God has taken my relationship with Zach to new heights. Throughout the past few months, Zach has been really searching for God's purpose in his life. On Friday, Zach spoke at a sports banquet to a group of high schoolers about God's grace and gave his personal testimony about how God continues to restore his past. It is SOOO amazing watching the incredible things God is doing in Zach's life. I love watching Zach develop into the man God wants him to be. In fact, here is an article about Zach published in our church bulletin last week (Hey- if a wife can't brag on her husband, who can, right??). I love you, baby!!
05/04/08

Missional Living

During the last year and a half he and his wife have been involved at Living Hope, Zack Wiggs has seen a dramatic change in the way he views things. As a young adult couple, Zack and Elizabeth are seeking to live missionally by loving God, living in community, and serving their world. Part of Zack’s world includes the bank where he works and the young man who recently confided in him about what was going on in his life. “About a month ago I had a new employee, and we started going to lunch,” Zack explains. “As we built a relationship, he began to feel comfortable with me and told me that he and his wife were on the verge of bankruptcy. He is a believer, but they have gotten away from church.” For 20 or more minutes, Zack was able to share how God had changed him and was working in his life. He also invited this co-worker and his wife to dinner at his house so he and Elizabeth could minister to them more. Zack is also finding a way to put his skills to work to help build relationships with people in the inner city. He and a co-worker have sought permission to talk to area high school seniors about basic financial life skills like balancing a checkbook and avoiding credit card debt. Currently, they have plans to meet with seniors at Craigmont and Whitehaven High Schools for about 30-40 minutes once a month. “Whether it’s the inner city or a co-worker, the key is to build relationships,” Zack adds.
-----------------------------------------------------
On Saturday, my family went to Paris, TN (where Fred and Jennifer live) to celebrate my mom's birthday. Later that night, Fred's church threw him a surprise party. Here are a few pictures from the day!!
















5 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was so sweet! We do have an amazing family, don't we!!

Fred and Renee said...

I love this post! Thank you for the kind words. I love each and every member of my family. Not only am I blessed with a wonderful husband and kids, I am blessed with in-laws who add so much to our family. Thanks for such a special weekend.

angier said...

Anyone who knows you can tell you come from a great family. You are such a wonderful person, it had to come from somewhere. :)
Oh and by the way, LOVE the grill cover. Just hope Bry doesn't see it or he'll be begging for one. :)

Corey and Melody Cain said...

I love your family! And I have to say that I'm excited and honored that Corey and my picture ended up on the post as the only non-Shackelford family members :)

Anne-Camille Collins said...

Great pics with great color! Did you get a new lens?