Friday, May 9, 2008

Green Friday

Ok, I know that "Going Green" has turned into a ridiculously huge topic of conversation and trends these days, but I think Julia Roberts summed it up best on Oprah the other day when she said that "going green" is not a trend, it is a responsibility that we have as mankind. We are just now figuring out what kind of damage we are doing to this world, and while it may not be easy, I definitely feel that we have some sort of responsibilty to reverse what we've been doing over the past hundreds of years. One of the contestants on Oprah's Biggest Give made a comment and it has stuck with me ever since I heard it. He said "When I die, I want to know that I gave back to this world more than I took from it." I think that applies to so many things... including the environment.

I was online the other day, looking for recycling plants in Fayette County and I came across a SUPER AWESOME website for Memphians, eager about learning what they can do here in Shelby County. Even if you don't live near Memphis, this website has a LOT of helpful tips to conserve. Check it out.

Speaking of all things green, the topic of environmental love always gets me thinking about my friend, Laurie. Laurie and I have been best friends since we were in elementary school. Laurie is so conscientious about the environment and mankind in general. It is one of the things I love most about her. She is living in Seattle right now with her husband and I haven't seen her in months. So, in honor of my completely made-up "Green Friday," I just wanted to tell you that I love you and miss you, Laurie!!
This picture was taken by Laurie and Baine

3 comments:

angier said...

Hey girl. Thanks for the website. Bailey and I have been talking a lot about this subject lately. We really want to start being more aware of what we using and throwing away and how that affects our world. I can't wait to read all the info on the site. Every little bit will help.

Wiggs (The Beholder) said...

I was Googling myself and your blog was the first thing that came up. How fantastic to see that you share my value for sustainability (I currently work at a sustainable design firm and it has changed the way I live my life).

Keep doing our name proud!

Elizabeth Wiggs
Seattle, WA

Heather said...

Elizabeth -

Thanks so much for sharing this website! I have been thinking about all of this a lot lately too ... even looking into the organic farms (co ops) around Memphis, etc.