Thursday, August 28, 2008

That's Who I Am...

This past weekend, I was having a talk with my friend, Katie, who is a house-keeper extraordinaire. She's one of those people who could entertain herself for hours by cleaning. In fact, she was over at my house last night, and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed she was turning my couch pillow right-side-up. Apparently the zipper should not be on the top. Hee hee.

On Friday night, she was complaining about the fact that her husband has such a hard time picking up after himself. I quickly came to his defense. I explained that during this process of trying to sell our house, I've tried SOOO hard to keep the house straight. I've tried to put my clothes in the hamper after I undress at night. I've tried to carry my dishes to the kitchen after we eat. I've tried to stay on top of the laundry. I've tried to change the cat litter every day. But during this attempt to be something I'm so obviously not, I became uncharacteristically frustrated.

Don't get me wrong- I recognize the importance of keeping a nice house. I want people to feel at home in our house. I obviously don't want bug problems in my house. I obviously don't want my house to smell bad. BUT, if the dishes stay in the sink a couple of days or I have a few days worth of dirty clothes laying next to my bed, I'm not going to have a coronary.

All that to say, I saw this on Emily's blog this morning and it started my day off with a smile.

Sorry, Mom!

7 comments:

Katie Cordell said...

Are you saying I'm wasting my life away? Hmm...

Nicki and Don said...

I SOOOOO agree with you, Liz. Just wait until you have a baby, even if i want to clean there is NO time!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I like that! I second the motion.

Heather said...

This is a CLASSIC Elizabeth post ;) Loved it.

Gabby said...

AMEN sister!!! A clean house isn't a wasted life but it doesn't make you who you are either. :) Did that make sense? :) Live life to the fullest!! It seems like you do! :)

Live.Love.Eat said...

Ha ha, I loved this post. I too don't mind dishes in the sink for a couple of days. They are completed rinsed off and ready for the dishwasher. I actually thought last night how for just a family of 3 I always have a waiting list for the dishwasher. I also have pairs of shoes lying everywhere. But when I get to that point when I am sick of seeing something, I am anal about the cleaning. Have a great weekend!!!!

Dan and Tami said...

I mostly agree, Liz, but no, the zippers never go on top!