Monday, August 18, 2008

When Christians Act Un-Christian

Throughout the past few months, Zach and I have been diligently studying and praying about what it means to live intentionally. We have a desire to live a life that is committed to Christ, but have been struggling with what that looks like... especially when you're standing up against something you believe is wrong. What does it mean to fight in a Christ-like way? Those are questions that have been weighing heavily on our minds as Zach and I fight through personal issues in our lives. Those have been questions weighing on my mind as I prepare to vote in the upcoming election. I'm challenged in this as I deal with coworkers, unloving people, and just the day to day frustrations of life.

I became challenged during Gib's sermon on Sunday about true perserverance. Last night, I laid awake in bed for about an hour, not being able to sleep, my mind heavy with the realities that exist in adulthood (I SOO wish I could be Peter Pan- and never grow up). I began to pray that I could feel God's love and that in return, I could exhibit his love to those who are unloving. Why is that SOOO hard?!?!

As I continue to struggle with all of this and work through this, I came across this article from Smart City Memphis. My heart ached as I read it... at the way Christians in Memphis are choosing to fight. I'm so glad I came across this article today- because it is a reminder that when our pride and flesh begins to interfere, God slowly diminishes.. and sin creeps in. I'm reminded that the best way we can fight ANY battle is through love. I strongly believe that love is the only way to fight for Christ... which means we are to love those who hate us and we are to love those who we don't agree with.

I'm now curious at what would happen to Memphis if we, as Christians, put down our protest signs and pride.. and begin to love those who are different from ourselves. What if we choose to comfort those who are living in sin? What if we open our doors to those who hate us? What if we pray for the people who rob, murder, and hurt us? What if we actually LOVE people who try to kill us?

What would that fight look like?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Liz. See my comment here.

http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/2008/08/praying-for-eulogy-to-memphis.html?showComment=1219076280000#c8415276245566407004

laurie said...

Beautiful thoughts, Liz. I can feel your sincerity in your words, and that makes me happy. :)

And, yes, I am completely empathic for you in naming how difficult it is to truly love anyone - including ourselves. Hence, the life-long, painful and beautiful PROCESS of redemption. Too bad it's not as easy as the 1-time sinner's prayer bit. But then what kind of depth and beauty would come from that?

Thank you for your words. I want more - maybe a long-awaited phone call. :)

laurie

p.s. Did you read the last comment that was posted on that link? by "Margie Phelps, Westboro Baptist Church, Topeka, KS"? HOLY CRAP!

watson said...

Loved your thoughts here! Oh to be the true body of Christ who loves even our enemies! Oh to be a woman who could comprehend the Love that never quits me, even when I am the enemy! And in turn love with that everlasting Love.