Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Fruit on the Vines

There is food in my garden! I planted watermelon, tomatoes, squash, sweet potatoes and cucumbers in my garden back in the spring, and now I'm finally seeing signs of life! I'm not sure how, seeing as how I often forget to water them, planted way too many close together, and have not pulled any weeds in about a month. But still, there is fruit on the vines!

In all truthfulness, I planted about 40-50 tomato plants and about 30-40 watermelon plants, which I recently learned was WAY too many. The instructions said plant them 4-5 feet apart, but for some reason, I read it as 4-5 INCHES apart. All that to say- I've got about 50 plants too many and am looking to give some away before they start choking each other. If you know of anyone who may be willing to drive to Oakland to pick some up, tell them to call me or email me!


After I wrote this post, I came across this awesome article on my friend, Anne Camille's, blog about the importance of food in your family. I thought it kind of went with my post today. You can read it here.

4 comments:

Fred and Renee said...

Yay! I want some - not the plants, just the fruit. :-)

angier said...

You go girl!! I remember how exciting it was when I saw my first garden producing actual food. Then the moles came in and took over. Darn moles!! :)

Marksberry Family said...

I can't wait to have a house and yard so I can plant some stuff too! That watermelon looks fabulous! With the ban on tomatoes and such you should set up a stand and start selling them! You could make a fortune!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I am jealous. I want to do it but I am afraid to. Happy 4th!!!!!!