Friday, April 25, 2008

Bad Mama



Let's just hope I'm better at raising children than I am raising dogs. Last night, Zach and I got to talking about how much our dogs eat and that they still always seem hungry. He asked me if we were feeding them enough. I said, "well, I think so- how much do they need?" Apparently a LOT. We got online to research it and found out that they should EACH be eating 12 cups a day right now! Up until this point, we've been feeding them each about 5 cups a day. I immediately felt like a horrible pet-owner. I went and grabbed their bowls and tripled their food amount. They, of course, ate every bit of it.
Sorry, Jennifer... if you thought the last post was gross, then you probably don't want to read any further (at least there are no pictures this time)!

It never crossed my mind that the dogs might have problems after eating that much food. But starting at 2:00 a.m., they woke up howling and barking. Zach got up at 2:00, 3:00 and then again at 5:00 to let them out. But for whatever reason, that wasn't enough. This morning around 5:45, Zach discovered that both dogs had pooped in their crate. He opened their crate to let them outside and of course it was all over them. By the time he had realized what was going on, the dogs had taken off through the house, tracking their "poop prints" all over the house. I spent the next 30 minutes in the floor with a bottle of rubbing alcohol, trying to get all the spots off the floor while Zach went outside to hose down the dogs and their crate.

Not exactly the best Friday morning we've ever had.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing! And yes, I have done that before. Remember I told you the story about my sister's dog that I was watching and the diahrrea all over her, the crate, and the wall?! Don't worry. That doesn't make you a bad mama. Actually, some puppies will eat absolutley everything you put down, no matter how much! Some dogs will also ALWAYS seem like they're hungry even if they're getting enough. We fed ours twice a day, and I think we probably only fed them about 8 cups up until they were a year old. Then we tapered it down. Your dogs look healthy, so I think they're fine!
By the way, our offer still stands!

Marksberry Family said...

I have been meaning to tell you that I love your dogs! Scott and I always talk about when we get a place where we can have dogs, we want a chocolate lab and golden retriever! And, of course, I love their names! By the way, it doesn't change once you have kids. I have done some pretty silly things with Wyatt (innocently, of course). Great story!

angier said...

That very same thing happened to me the last time I fed Bryan too much. He got really upset when I tried to hose him down though. :)

Anne-Camille Collins said...

TOO FUNNY!!!

You poor thing... having to do that first thing waking up...

Ashli said...

You have such cute pups! What a funny story!